Long ago, Gilbert was once known as the Hay Shipping Capital of the World. Now, the town is a part of the Phoenix metropolitan area. From its agricultural beginnings, it has grown to become the sixth largest municipality in the state. In total, it includes 76 square miles of land.
While Gilbert remained relatively small for years, the population and Gilbert property management sites rapidly grew in the last three decades. Over these years, the average annual growth rate was almost 13 percent. In 1902, the city originally started when William Gilbert gave land to the Arizona Eastern Railway. By 1910, the first store opened in Gilbert and later turned into the first post office. The city was officially incorporated in 1920, but it remained an agricultural town for most of the next 50 years.
For recreational options, residents can check out a number of different green spaces in the area. Pet lovers can enjoy the Cosmo Dog Park. Other top parks include the Discovery District Park, Freestone District Park, Crossroads District Park, McQueen District Park, Elliot District Park and the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch. While the Riparian Preserve is home to an observatory and ponds, Freestone Park offers athletic fields, fishing and play areas.
Shopping options are relatively abundant along the streets of Gilbert. Residents can shop at SanTan Village, Gilbert Gateway Towne Center and Crossroads Towne Center. For Italian cuisine, visit Tostino's Wine Cafe. Meanwhile, American cuisine can be enjoyed at Joe's Farm Grill, Liberty Market the Keg Steakhouse and DC Steakhouse. Top Mexican cuisine can be discovered at the New Mexican Grill and Joyride Taco House.